by Lillian Ewert*
To a Bride?
|Photo by Katie Fisher|
- a lovely dress
- never saying "good-bye" again to her lover
- being overwhelmed by the kindnesses of so many
- sadness at leaving her home town
- excitement about having her own home
- thankfulness that God made the choice
- cherished memories of a happy day
To her Father?
|Photo by Rayan Anaster|
- walking down the aisle with the loveliest girl in town
- being nervous about his lines (and dance steps)
- a balance of 45 cents in the checking account
- moving boxes and furniture to an apartment three hours away
- glad to have a son and his friends to help with the moving
- after everyone leaves, adjusting to "just the three of us" once again
- experiencing a strange mix of emotions
- the fear of crying in front of everyone
- happiness at seeing relatives who live so far away
- sharing the joy as each gift if lovingly handled and admired
- gaining a wonderful son
- using shared memories of places and events as reminders to pray
- wanting to help make it a special day for her
- fighting back tears
- a brother!
- memories of growing up and hanging out together
To a Family?
- becoming closer than ever: planning, praying, worrying, working, and laughing
- thankfulness to God for His faithfulness
- added responsibility to pray for and support one another
- adjustments to new locations and situations
- greater faith in God, knowing He does all things well.
- gratefulness for family and friends who have shared this joy with us and upheld us in prayer.
|Photo by Jenn Dodd - Used with permission|
*This was written 33 years ago by my mom after my wedding on July 14, 1979. I adapted it slightly to fit the occasion of Brad and Sharon's wedding July 14, 2012. My parents, David and Lillian Ewert, celebrated 55 years of marriage on May 11.
|David and Lillian Ewert|
This is beautiful. I especially enjoyed the "45 cents in the checking account"! What a beautiful family!ReplyDelete